Boxing clever & target-setting. Nursery – Year 2
In this session Alan will unpick and model his well-known story-making approach (BOXING CLEVER) including the standard ‘eight element’ approach AND the nursery-based ‘five element’ approach. He will also model his visual talk and writing target approach.
- How to start and end stories
- The importance of dilemma
- Better characterisation
- Motivating the most reluctant writers – including boys
- Word games to develop a love of literacy
- Using ICT in the classroom to motivate the reluctant writer – including boys
The beginnings of non-fiction
Alan will model how to begin to develop sentence-sense with low baseline new nursery intake (pupils who can’t form letters) using his unique pictorial approach. Games-based strategies for developing sequential language and positional language will also be included as well as contextualised language-rich display ideas.
Engaging more able writers in Year 1 & 2
Alan will consider recount writing and physical sentence-building games as well as the six principles which underpin early writing.